Saturday, May 4, 2013

Senior Design Capstone Project

This is as good a place to post this as any.  As some of you may know, as of May 2013 I completed my BS in EE at UTA.  At the end of such a degree, there is inevitably a project assigned in the last semester, designed to allow students the chance to demonstrate what they have learned.

The project I was assigned was:

Design a wireless perimeter security system capable of differentiating the difference between a small animal and a human, utilizing solar energy as a power source.

This was a three person project, and I was very fortunate to be teamed up with two other outstanding students, Simon Donahue & Brandon Kamphaus.  Brandon wound up handling the interfacing b/n the computer and base station, as we referred to it, as well as mountains of code.  Simon was in charge of the solar power harvesting, and I handled the circuit layout, sensors, and wireless communication.

I'm not going to go too much more in depth, but I will post a link to our final paper here, our presentation, and pictures of the circuits I built for this.  I think that will do more just than I could in this brief blog post.

The paper (This is the interim report)
The presentation (Keynote)
The presentation (PPT)
Tested Results (Video)

And some pictures of the system:
Base station circuit top:

Base station circuit bottom:
 One of the remote modules, along with the sensor:





No comments:

Post a Comment